Independent full-time FOSS developer working on Protomaps – an open source system for creating and serving web maps, making use of OpenStreetMap data! Based in Taipei, Taiwan.
All Sessions by Brandon Liu
17 Nov. 23
Boosting OpenStreetMap with Overture Maps (EN)
13:00 - 13:30
Overture Maps is a new open data initiative by a consortium of mapping companies - many of which are also involved in OSM. For OSM mappers and data users, Overture might seem like a competing project towards the same goal - a free and complete global geo dataset.
Overture released its first datasets in Summer 2023, let's take a look at their data! I'm a long-time developer of OSM tools and an outsider to Overture, and I'll give my perspective on the project's potential:
* Putting Overture data on a map using FOSS tools - Tippecanoe, PMTiles, and Planetiler
* Overture themes and tags vs. OSM
* Differences and similarities in contribution models + licensing
* Deep dive on state-of-the-art tools for processing Overture/ OSM + how OSM might adopt efficient storage formats like Parquet
* Using Overture as a complement to improve OSM